All About Columbariums: History, Types, Costs, Benefits
Columbariums are an increasingly popular option for families looking for a dignified and affordable way to honor their loved ones after they have passed. In this blog, we will explore the history of columbariums, the different types available, the costs involved, and the benefits they offer to families.
RELATED: 5 Benefits of Cremation
History of Columbariums
Columbariums have been around for thousands of years as a way to store the remains of the deceased. The word “columbarium” comes from the Latin word “columba,” which means “dove.” The term originally referred to structures that housed doves, but it eventually came to refer to structures that housed urns containing human remains.
Additionally, columbariums have been used in many cultures, including ancient Rome and China. In Rome, columbariums were for the storage of the remains of freed slaves and the lower classes. On the other hand, in China, columbariums were often built into the sides of mountains and were used by wealthy families as a way to display their wealth and power.
Types of Columbariums
Today, there are many different types of columbariums available, each with its own unique features and benefits. Some common types of columbariums include:
- Outdoor columbariums: These columbariums are typically located in a peaceful and serene outdoor setting. Moreover, its material is from stone or other durable materials and can accommodate a range of urn sizes.
- Indoor columbariums: These columbariums are often located within a mausoleum or other indoor structure. They may be more elaborate and decorative than outdoor columbariums, with features such as stained glass windows or intricate carvings.
- Private family columbariums: The design of the columbarium is to accommodate the remains of multiple family members. Correspondingly, they may be located on private property or within a cemetery.
Costs of Columbariums
The cost of a columbarium can vary widely depending on the type of columbarium, its location, and other factors. However, columbariums are generally less expensive than traditional burial options. One of the factors that make the difference in pricing is the level of the vault. If it is an eye-level Columbary vault, it is usually pricier. In addition, developers like Golden Haven offer financing and different payment options. With the added convenience of online payment methods, it’s much easier to invest in a Columbarium.
Benefits of Columbariums
Columbariums offer a range of benefits to families, including:
- Affordability: Columbariums are generally less expensive than traditional burial options, making them a good choice for families on a budget.
- Dignity: Columbariums provide a dignified and respectful way to honor the memory of a loved one.
- Personalization: You may personalize the columbarium with urns, photos, and other mementos, allowing families to create a meaningful and unique tribute to their loved ones.
- Convenience: Columbariums are easy to maintain and visit, providing families with a peaceful and serene place to pay their respects.
Columbariums are a unique and meaningful way to honor the memory of a loved one. Whether you choose an outdoor columbarium, an indoor columbarium, or a private family columbarium, you can rest assured that your loved one will be honored with dignity and respect. By understanding the history, types, costs, and benefits of columbariums, you can make an informed decision about whether this option is right for your family.
READ MORE: Golden Haven Memorial Park News and Update